The first Roma school in Uzhgorod was opened more than 90 years ago (PHOTOS)
The first Roma school in Uzhgorod was opened on December 22, 1926. At that time, 37 Roma children aged 6 to 13 were attending it. The first director of the institution was teacher Yosyp Shestak, who was well respected in the Roma community.
Many people, institutions and organizations contributed to the establishment of the school. In particular, the president of the Czechoslovakia Tomas Masaryk donated 10000 Kč of his own savings. Financial support for this good cause was also provided by the then Minister of Education of the Czechoslovak Republic (by the way, the future Prime Minister) Milan Gohja and the Vice-Governor of Subcarpathian Rus Antonin Roscypal.
The pedagogical publishing house in Prague printed at its own expense the necessary academic literature, and the "Baťa" company provided the schoolchildren with footwear. The Roma themselves not only directly participated in the construction of the school building, but also made 19,000 bricks for the construction.
Today, Uzhgorod secondary school № 14 is located in the building at Timiryazev st., 12. Children from Roma families still study there.
28 October 2018 12:37
21 March 2018 09:31
Катерина Суслова: Шлях від каплиці до монастиря або історія Малоберезнянського монастиря Святого Миколая
25 October 2020 16:01
13 September 2020 20:23