The exhibition in the Museum of Folk Architecture and Life tells about synagogue a centers of Jewish spirituality
The mobile exhibition "Synagogues in Central and Eastern Europe, 1782-1944", formed on the basis of the eponymous book by historian and architect of the Serbian city of Subotica Rudolf Klein, launched in the exhibition hall of the Transcarpathian Museum of Folk Architecture and Life.
The exhibition in roll-up format was recreated by the Society of Hungarian Architects and the Organization of the Jewish Culture in Hungary under the patronage of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade of the neihgbouring country. The pictured exhibits, some of which are now destroyed, were selected on the entire territory of the former Austro-Hungarian Empire and represent a wide range of architecture and construction of synagogues in different periods.
Opening the exhibition, the Consul General of Hungary in Uzhgorod Jozsef Buhaylo noted that his country, which presided last year in the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance, was focusing on the community's fight against anti-Semitism, the development of education in respect of the Holocaust and the genocide of the Roma.
"Synagogue is not only a house of worship, it is a center of Jewish spiritual and social life, a symbol of community solidarity, its desire for life. Values, identity, dreams of Jewry are embodied in stone, brick, wood, metal structures of synagogues", - the chairman of the charity fund "Hesed Shpira" Mykhailo Halyn said.
The Mayor of Uzhgorod Bogdan Andriyiv, the rector of the Transcarpathian Art Institute Professor Ivan Nebesnyk and other participants of the event spoke about the age-old traditions of coexistence of representatives of different nations and mutual respect for their cultural values. Visitors of the museum can see the exhibits until April 1.