How to survive in case of avalache - recommendations from rescuers
Avalanche warnings are often announced in Transcarpathia during the cold season. Snow masses ay "rush" even because of a weak earthquake, continuous snowfall or certain human activities.
The average speed of the descending avalanche is 70-100 km/h. The force of the collision can reach 50 t on 1m2. To avoid he danger, you should register yourself at the rescue unit before going to the mountains. Rescuers will give you poper recommendations. If there is an avalanche warning, you are better to postpone the trip. If it happened so that you are in the mountains at the time of the avqlanche, keep to the recommendations given by the rescuers.
Thus, in case of an avalanche in mountains do the following:
1) get out of its way as soon as possible ad hide behind a fortified object (rock, strojg tree etc.) This will increase your chance not to find yourself under the avalanche;
2) take off your heavy equipment (bag, skis etc.);
3) at the moment of the hihest danger, take a horizontal position and press your kees against your stomach and orientate your body according to the movement of the avalanche, cover your mouth and nose with a scarf or glove;
4) when the avalanche overtook you, perform swimming moves and try to keep at the side of the avalanche, if possible. The speed is llower here;
5) if you are covered with snow, create space around your face and chest. This will allow you breathe;
6) when the avalanche stops moving, designate your position (where is top and where is down). For this, collect saliva in your mouth and let it flow from your there;
7) if it is possible, keep your arm straightly in the direction of the surface of the snow. This will help rescuers find you.
8) do not panic and do not let yourself fall asleep under any circumstances;
9) do not shout inside of the avalanche because the snow absorbs all the sound. In addition, shouting and useless moves will take away your power, oxygen and heat;
10) if there is a possibility, try to the take away snow and try to make your way to the surface.
26 February 2018 10:08
20 May 2018 21:09
8 May 2018 13:46