Grads fall, dirt pours down, and we are operating wounded in the bunker - a military surgeon about Debaltseve
Frontline surgeon talks about the peculiarities of working in the vicinity of the line of fire
Oleksandr is a military surgeon originally from Transcarpathia. During the events in Debaltseve, he and other doctors were operating wounded right in the trenches. The doctor showed a correspondent of the Hromadske Radio photos and videos on his phone, recalled how difficult it was to do surgery underground without light and the right tools:
- Here anaesthesiologist was hurt. There were no wounds, but blast, concussion. When we were retreating (from Debaltseve - Ed.), there was a medical company. This is 25 people, at least, for two thousand soldiers... Here is the last surgery in the trenches of liver and stomach. The patient has just woke up.
- Is he okay now?
- Yes, he called recently. The wound has healed. Here, take a look, in this position, we were operating in the bunker. Grads, shells fall, dirt pours down, all in the wound. There were three anaesthesiologist and I - the only surgeon. Here, fingers are torn off. This guy has also called, his face was mutilated, and this is the new face after the surgery. But he is still being treated, there are fractures of legs, arms. My driver was killed - the surgeon told.
Oleksandr has spent in Stanytsia-Luhanska district fourteen months. The hospital in Stanytsia Luhanska was damaged by shellings last August. Now it is being repaired. About ten ambulances were sent to Donbass by the Greek Catholic Church from Uzhgorod, but most of them were burnt in Debaltseve. According to the doctor, 90% of medical supplies are provided by volunteers, and 10% - by the Armed Forces of Ukraine:
- Resuscitation is provided here to both military and local residents, that is emergency surgeries, stabilization of the wounded.
- What are the most common injuries?
- Blast-type, shrapnel wounds, mostly to limbs, but there are wounds to abdomen, chest, neck and head.
- How many staff do you have? Is it enough to give qualified first aid?
- Surgery department is more or less staffed, four surgeons, one traumatologist, he is also the chief doctor, one anaesthesiologist, that we miss very much, and one radiologist.
- And are you provided with medicines enough?
- We have a separate warehouse where we store the drugs specifically for the military. About 90% of it is from volunteers and 10% - from the Armed Forces. We are provided with everything at the highest level.
- Where do the wounded come from?
- Almost all over the district. Both military and civilians.
- And children?
- We had a boy about 16 years old, who had been shot in the leg when he was at the Ukrainian checkpoint - military surgeon Oleksandr told.
The correspondent of the Hromadske Radio could personally see that the hospital in Stanytsia Luhanska is fully provided with necessary medicines and tools. Since the institution is at the forefront, doctors sleep right in the hospital - the doctor said.
Listen to the programme HERE
Focus.ua: Ужгородский кандидат в список ЮНЕСКО: как перестать плакать и начать гордиться своей культурой
8 June 2018 20:06
31 May 2018 22:50