Yesterday, in Uzhgorod, rescuers twice cleared apartments of spilled mercury

8 October 2015 10:32  49107638 0108699
Yesterday, in Uzhgorod, rescuers twice cleared apartments of spilled mercury

Two mercury thermometers broke in the regional center Transcarpathia. The first fact was recorded on Onokivska street, in an apartment where a married couple lives. The woman became ill, and while measuring temperature, accidentally hit a thermometer on a sofa corner. As a result, the mercury spilled on the floor and bed sheets. At 10:15, the woman reported the incident to the rescue service "101". Meanwhile her husband began to collect mercury balls with adhesive tape and to throw them in a bucket which is strictly prohibited.

Professionals of the radiation and chemical protection group of the special purpose rescue squad arrived to the apartment, cleaned the room and collected 2 grams of mercury. The flooring was treated with an aqueous solution of ferric chloride, and the owners were advised to air the room.

The next incident occurred the same evening in Uzhgorod on Nakhimov street. The situation was similar: a sick man accidentally dropped a mercury thermometer on the floor which led to the spillage of harmful metal. At 18:20 he turned for help to the rescue service. Rescuers cleared the living room in area of ​​8 square meters of mercury by treating the floor and furniture with a special solution. In total, rescuers collected about 2 grams of the metal.

Post comment

Users posting offensive comments as to other participants of discussion will be banned by moderator without prior warning or explanation. The information related to these users may be provided to law enforcement authorities upon relevant request.Links and advertising messages are prohibited in the comments!

No comments