Uzhgorod "Window to America" - a new breath
On April 1st, there was the celebration of the 10th anniversary of Uzhgorod "Windows to America" and the official opening of a new, well-equipped room. In the updated center, Transcarpathians will find comfortable furniture, modern appliances, free internet, round table for meetings, discussions and further interesting events and a ramp for people with disabilities.
"10 years ago, when we first opened the center, we thought that there could be nothing better in the library. More and more users began to visit the "Window to America". Gradually it became too small to fit a large number of people," - the director of the Transcarpathian Regional Library Olena Kanyuka said.
Uzhgorod Information Resource Center "Window to America" was established in 2004 under a grant from the US Embassy in Ukraine. The purpose of the center is to provide current information about the US, US assistance and exchange programs and to replenish the library stock with English publications. The United States government allocates funds to purchase a collection of books and a video collection of documentaries and classic American films. The "Window to America" hosts a variety of events aimed at providing communication between Ukrainian and American citizens, regular appearances of American experts, Embassy staff, Fulbright scholars, Peace Corps Volunteers and other US citizens. The Information Center "Window to America" is established through a partnership between the US Government and Ukrainian regional public libraries.
In addition, foreign volunteers who visit the "Window" said that they like to learn Ukrainian at the library, to improve practical skills in communication, and to do volunteer work in the library.
The Information Center "Window to America" is located at: Uzhgorod, Svoboda Ave., 16, 1st floor of the Transcarpathian Regional Library, and provides the following free service to all library users:
- reference books on the USA, business, economics, politics, history and culture;
- aids for teaching and learning of English;
- encyclopedias and reference books on a variety of disciplines;
- American and world classic literature;
- collection of fiction and documentary films;
- electronic and audio books;
- free internet, Wi-Fi access and devices for its use (iPads, laptops).
- various events, presentations, parties, meetings with interesting people;
- English club "English-speaking House" (Wednesdays at 17.00). This is a live communication in English language, improvement of knowledge and speaking practice.
- "Movie-club" offers feature films and documentaries and interesting intellectual games in the "Game Night!" club
- English club for children "English Friends" (every Friday at 16.30): English speaking, interesting and educational games and language practice.
- preparation for standardized tests (TOEFL, GRE)
15 June 2016 11:25