In Velyki Luchky, the tribute to Luchkay took place (PHOTOS)
In the village of Velyki Luchky in Mukachevo district, a plaque in honor of the native of the village, known historian, linguist, religious leader Myhailo Luchkay was solemnly consecrated. A few days before the event, November 19 marked 225 years since his birth. By the way, Mykhailo Pop became Mykhailo Luchkay while studying in Varadinum (now Oradea, Romania). It was there where he changed his name.
Before the consecration, the Greek Catholic community of the village met Bishop Milan near the new wooden temple with bread and salt and children's poems. After the liturgy near the church, they consecrated the cornerstone for a parish house. After that, the procession marched to the local hospital. It was on that spot where the Greek Catholic church of the Ascension of the Lord once stood. It was built in 1829 by Father Vasyl Dovhovych, Transcarpathian philosopher, linguist, the first Transcarpathian academician. It was in this church where Mykhailo Luchkay served. But during the religious persecution, the church was destroyed, while the hospital was built on that spot.
Now, only a cross dated from 1899 reminds of those years.
Nearby, on the facade of the hospital, they established a memorial plaque that will remind of the pastor Mykhailo Luchkay and that there was once a church here. After the consecration, they conducted a memorial service for dead priests and people. who died during the famine.
By the way, the house where Mykhailo Luchkay was born is still there. It looks good, there is a plaque to the historian on its facade too.
20 May 2018 21:09
8 May 2018 13:46