Self-nomination in local elections has been restored (ON CHANGES IN THE LAW)
Amendments to the law on local elections have been published - a native of Uzhgorod, who now lives in Kyiv, politician Oleksandr Solontay informed.
In his opinion, here are the most important ones:
1. Self-nomination has been restored. Now, candidates can nominate themselves not only in the villages and towns, but also in cities, district and regions;
2. For the first time, there will pledge in local elections. For mayors and for party lists - 2 minimal incomes per 100,000 voters and for majoritarian candidates - 0.2 minimal income per 10,000 voters in the constituency. For example, in Kyiv, a candidate for the mayor shall provide approx. 53,000 UAH, and to the city council - approx. 877 UAH (2,173 million voters, 60 constituencies);
3. Voting is conducted from 8:00 to 20:00 (before changes - to 22:00);
4. In order to run for the deputy, one must choose either a party list or a constituency, simultaneous nomination has been cancelled;
5. The rights of observers were strengthened, procedures for the work of commissions and vote counting were improved.
The full text of changes is HERE.
"The changes are cosmetic, but very important. It's really a step forward!" - Solontay said.