Transcarpathian Slovaks issued a new calendar
Recently Uzhgorod Slovaks Society presented a new edition of the annual anthology "Our cultural and historical calendar." The issue, which contains the publications of the last year and works on the history of our region, has been released in Transcarpathia since 1997.
According to the chief editor of the "Calendar ..." Ivan Latko, the community receives financial assistance for the publication of this anthology from the Government for Foreign Slovaks in Bratislava. The publication is needed in order to Transcarpathian Slovaks did not forget their roots, read in Slovak and learned more about the period when the current territory of Transcarpathia was part of Czechoslovakia.
Much attention in the "Calendar ..." is traditionally devoted to the architecture of Transcarpathian cities, created during Czechoslovakia period. Specifically, an employee of the Kosice museum Adriana Pryatkova wrote for the antology an article about Kosice architect Ludovit Oelshlaher who designed the building of the Trading Academy (later known as Officers House) in Mukachevo, Jewish school and canteen (now the Department of Biology of UzhNU) in Uzhgorod, former city council building in Vynogradiv and others.
There are also articles about the Roma school, which operated in the late 20's to early 30's in Uzhgorod, elections in Czechoslovakia in 1920 and the famous Slovak history researcher of early Slavs Adalbert Budinsky-Kricka.