Can customs officers inspect baggage whenever they want?
Inspection of hand luggage and baggage may be carried only in certain cases, the regional office of the Ministry of Income assures.
In particular, customs officers may inspect and unpack luggage when they suspect that you are carrying things which are:
- subject to recording and relevant types of control;
- subject to payment of customs duties during customs clearance;
- prohibited or restricted for transportation across the customs border of Ukraine.
However, they note, inspection can be carried out only in the presence of the owner or their authorized representative.
In the absence of a citizen or their authorized representative, the inspection shall be carried out:
1) If there is reason to believe that unaccompanied baggage contains goods that are dangerous to life and health of humans, animals and plants, and the environment;
2) If the citizen or their authorized representative does not appear within one month from the date of the receipt of unaccompanied baggage by the destination customs;
3) If the hand luggage or baggage is left in the territory of Ukraine in violation of the obligations on their transit through the territory of Ukraine.
In such cases, the inspection of hand luggage or baggage shall be carried in the presence of representatives of the company that provides transportation, transfer or storage of baggage and hand luggage.
The Parliament has limited duty-free import of goods across borders to no more than once in three days
8 December 2017 10:05
22 November 2017 11:29
Дмитро Тужанський: угорській громаді Закарпаття потрібні гарантії їхніх прав та увага української влади як до повноцінних громадян
8 December 2017 21:13